For the animation of the walk cycle for the robot we found out that to make him walk properly, without any movement between key frames, we had to animate him frame by frame. This, we though was going to be an extremely time consuming and tedious job. We were correct!
This as you can see for soem of our shot consisting of 200+ frames was an epic task. The only thing driving us through the torment of moving the robot and key framing multiple times, was the quality of the final walk cycle. The robot stuck to the ground perfectly and looked as if he was really walking on the ground in the scene.
This is a rough edit of our short film. The length of each clip will probably be changed depending on how we animate the robot. This also isn’t colour corrected, we feel that when it is colour corrected it will give the film a completely different feel.
The second day of our filming marathon was one of the more productive days. We had arranged for a band to come and play an acoustic set on the pavement for us and we got hold of an actor to play the part of the owner. It is quite a small part, and we dont see many of the facial expressions and he is only in the film for about a minute, we still wanted it to work properly and using either myself or Adam might have ruined the start.
We wanted to get as manny shots as possible in the short time we had so we decided it was best to plan each shot roughly beforehand and then when we got to the location it would all run a lot smoother. This said a lot of the shots we ended up liking and using in the final edit were from inspiration as we where going. This in turn made the filming more enjoyable.
We Managed to get hold of a steady cam and a dolly for the camera (With thanks to Eliot and Richard). This enabled us to get some really nice flowing shots. These worked especially well when shooting the first person parts for the robot. We really liked the idea of the robot being quite nieve and make him learn as the film progresses. Having the track really helped us emphasise these features, giving us long sweeping shots so we can show the robot interacting with objects and people around him and in turn them interacting with the robot.
We used the track for the ‘Band’ scene because of how smooth the shot looked and it really worked with the flow of the music, we want to incorporate the style of music into the movement of the robot for example make him walk slowly and ‘bop’ to the music as he walks.
As the sun set in an idyllic way we finished our last shot of our film. Time for some animation!
The day had finally arrived where we could film. We had managed to get the camera for three days only and we planned to make the most of it. Setting off at 9.00 am we packed the car to the point of busting with people and equipment and made our way to our location in sunny Poole.
As soon as we got there we immediately got to work setting up our first shots. With a plastic bottle as a robot reference for hight and shadow we were able to imagine our CGI model in the scenes. Although this didnt mean it made the filming easy we still had to think and imagine how the robot would move, taking in to consideration lens flair and other objects that might hinder our animation of the robot.
The next step was to place the robot into the individual scenes, add lighting and shadows to make him look like he is in the scene. This was quite a lengthy proces as we had to get the angle correct so that his feet fit the scene properly and in some cases we had to build the scenery around the robot so that the shadows would fall properly on the surfaces int he scene. One the angles and hight’s were correct we added lighting. We have to add two sets of lights to illuminate the robot correctly to match the scene; a directional light that casts most of the shadow and matches the the direction of the sun and an ambient light to bring out the individual features of the robot, this is normally placed in the position of the camera.
Most of these pictures are untextured and dont have a process called ‘Ambient occlusion’ added to them. This is the final process that really brings the character to life and makes him look like a real robot. The second picture has a slight texture added to him as a test, the final texture will be more detailed.